[Skip to Content]

Federal Assistance

Through September 30, 2004, the federal agencies most frequently involved in assisting communities reported they had collectively provided about $1.9 billion in assistance in response to the previous rounds (1988, 1991, 1993, and 1995) of Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC). Interagency coordination has also facilitated the civilian reuse of former military installations to benefit the public through Federal agency-sponsored public benefit conveyances. For more information, see Federal Agencies And Public Benefit Conveyances.

The following programs are available to assist communities with the alleviation of socioeconomic effects that may result from military base closures and realignments. Under Executive Order 12788, as amended, assistance for communities impacted by Defense program changes is coordinated across the Federal Government through the Economic Adjustment Committee (EAC). The Department of Defense's Office of Economic Adjustment (OEA) staffs the EAC and its Director is the EAC's Executive Director. Communities are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the following resources, including accessing program information through the provided internet links. OEA staff is available at (703) 604-6020 to address any questions you may have concerning the EAC, federal assistance available to affected communities, or specific local needs that may exist.

Please note that while OEA attempts to provide current information, these programs and their availability are subject to change without notice. Please contact the appropriate agency for the most up-to-date information on current programs.

Resources for Individuals

This section provides service descriptions and contact information for Government programs available to jobseekers, employers, and local governments impacted by BRAC. Each subsection includes descriptions of programs geared to help in a specific area as well as contact information for those programs.

Continuing Education Financial Support

Financial Aid Center

U.S. Department of Labor

This site provides users with information on funding to continue lifelong learning and pay for training to advance career goals.


Partnership between Federal Agencies

This Web site is the gateway to Federal and State benefits information on continuing education and training, financial support programs, and many more topics. Users can browse benefits by category and specific Government Agency and search at the Federal and State levels. Users can also search topics by population and/or interests.

Think College

U.S. Department of Education

This Web site helps middle and high school students and adults returning to school learn more about the many different types of school and financial aid options available to them. These include diploma, certificate, and degree programs.


U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Through traineeship grants, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services provides funds to colleges and universities that then fund scholarships in health professions. The Web sites listed below provide information about these grants, including links to grantees that have scholarships available.

Public Health Traineeships
Grant recipients provide traineeships to students in health administration, hospital administration, and/or health policy analysis and planning. Traineeship funds may be used to support tuition, fees, stipends and allowances including travel, subsistence expenses, and dependency allowances. Students interested in applying for a health administration traineeship should contact the grant contacts listed on this Web site.
Health Professions Grants
The Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) Health Professions grants and cooperative agreements support innovations and targeted expansions in health professions education and training. Emphasis is on increasing the diversity of the health care workforce and preparing health care providers to serve diverse populations and to practice in the nation's 3,000 medically underserved communities. Eligibility and application information is located at this Web site.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

U.S. Department of Education

All of the following loan and grant programs r equire applicants to first complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which will calculate the individual’s expected family contribution. Schools use this information to determine actual financial aid packages. Apply for Federal student aid via www.fafsa.ed.gov or Federal Student Consolidation Loans or call the toll-free number 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243): 1-800-730-8913 (TTY). The following is a list of funds available through FAFSA.

CFDA Information

Occupational and Employment Information State Grants

U.S. Department of Education

This site provides links to Web sites on various Occupational and Employment Information State Grants. These grants promote an individual’s improved career and education decision making. Some of these sites also provide and support (1) professional development and other resources to teachers, administrators, and counselors intended to assist students and parents with career exploration, educational opportunities, and education financing; (2) information and planning resources that relate educational preparation to career goals and expectations; and (3) career guidance and academic counseling programs.

State Grant Agencies

U.S. Department of Education

This site lists State grant agencies and departments of education that offer more information about financial aid specific to each State.

Education Tax Benefits

U.S. Department of Treasury

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers tax benefits to offset some of the costs of higher education. To qualify for this benefit program, an individual must have educational needs and be a taxpayer who is interested in receiving tax information and tax return preparation assistance. For more information, see the publication or call the IRS help line 1-800-829-1040.

NIH Health Care Education Loan Repayment Programs

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

This site provides information about repaying educational loans for participants with substantial educational debt relative to income. To qualify for these programs, applicants must be health care professionals and U.S. nationals, citizens, dual citizens, or permanent residents who are qualified, certified, and/or licensed in laboratory or clinical research or have nursing degrees. Following is a list of programs this site offers:

CFDA Information