Local officials should organize to respond to the anticipated growth by leveraging existing organizations or establishing an initial “ad hoc” Growth Management Organization comprised of public and private community leaders. The organization may form working committees to address issues like housing availability, utilities, services, and public education. This organization can make initial assessments of important community issues that need to be addressed in a more comprehensive context.
This organization may work with OEA to:
- Outline a strategic approach
- Formulate goals and objectives
- Identify and analyze community gaps
- Develop a public involvement process
- Develop a growth management strategy to address the relocation schedule
- Develop a fiscally sound capital improvements program
- Manage and monitor growth
Four outcomes expected from a successful growth management effort include:
- A positive, workable State and local governmental commitment to accommodate the growth
- A lasting partnership based on cooperation and sharing by all affected interests
- A determined consensus course of action, including an implementation strategy
- Follow through by all stakeholders so growth benefits the community
Throughout the growth process, the responsibility and composition of the growth management organization may change based on specific circumstances.
Growth Management Plan and Implementation
Community growth management begins the DoD’s decision to relocate personnel and their dependents to a new community. Communities, working through its Growth Management Organization and OEA, need to develop a plan for handling growth. No matter what the context, communities require a cooperative partnership between the military, local community stakeholders, and OEA to ensure the community develops the right strategies for the community.
Based off of the growth management plan, the implementation plan requires capital funding arrangements for a variety of transportation, water and sewer systems, schools, and housing projects.