[Skip to Content]
  • CLICK HERE FOR AN IMPORTANT NOTICE AFFECTING OEA GRANT PAYMENTS AND AWARDS FROM APRIL 20 THROUGH MAY 4, 2015

American Forces Press Service - April 12, 2013, By Amaani Lyle

WASHINGTON, April 12, 2013 – The acting deputy undersecretary of defense for installations and environment and his service branch counterparts presented their military construction budget requests to Capitol Hill legislators here today and made a case for another round of base realignment and closure.

John Conger told the House Committee on Appropriations that the budget request allows the Defense Department to continue prudent investment in its infrastructure.

The DOD budget request, Conger said, allocates $11 billion for military construction, $10.9 billion for facility sustainment and restoration and $3.8 billion for environmental compliance and cleanup.

However, Conger said, the department needs “to find a way to strike the right balance, so infrastructure does not drain too many resources from the warfighter.”

Pentagon officials said the latest BRAC proposal stems from a DOD study issued in 2004 that indicated a 24-percent excess capacity in infrastructure amid constrained budgets and reductions in force structure.

“Then we had a BRAC round [in 2005, which] reduced approximately 3.4 percent of our … replacement value,” Conger said. “So as a consequence, we deemed there's still a lot of excess there.”

Significant force structure reductions followed, Conger said, including projected Army scale-backs of 80,000 personnel, Marine Corps reductions of 20,000 people and the Air Force’s paring of 500 aircraft since 2005. Consequently, there’s “significant evidence that we have excess [infrastructure] capacity,” Conger said.

“We need to be cognizant that maintaining more infrastructure than we need taxes other resources that the warfighter needs as well, from depot maintenance, to training, to bullets and bombs,” he said.

As DOD seeks ways to lower military construction and operating costs and invest in energy efficiency, Conger assured the committee members that BRAC is another method to reduce infrastructure costs to the department.

“The previous five rounds of BRAC are providing us with a recurring savings of $12 billion every year,” he said.

Conger also acknowledged skepticism that some members of Congress have about the need for another BRAC.

“In essence, our past investments in BRAC are paying for our entire [military construction] bill, and then some,” Conger said. “I think there's a good case for presuming another round.”

 

To view this article at the source publication, go to http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=119770.

The information above is for general awareness only and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Office of Economic Adjustment or the Department of Defense as a whole.

 

In the News

  • With or without BRAC, DoD’s footprint is shrinking

    April 8, 2015 – Federal News Radio, By Jared Serbu In each of the past four years, the Pentagon has proposed a new round of base closures and Congress has rejected every one so far. But with or without lawmakers’ approval, the military’s footprint is shrinking. The Defense Department has hinted...

    Read More...

  • Not Your Grandfather’s Factories

    Governing (Voices of the Governing Institute), By Anne Kim – April 8, 2015 It’s not easy for manufacturing to attract the younger, skilled workers that it needs. We need to focus on both the educational pipeline and public perceptions. For much of the past 30 years, the American public’s view of...

    Read More...

  • Improving Public Services: The Secrets of Award-Winning Cities

    April 6, 2015 – Governing, By John M. Kamensky Local governments, their citizens and community interest groups all want better service delivery, and more than ever are looking to technology to make that happen. But technology alone won’t work. What cities that have been recognized for innovations...

    Read More...

  • Looming Army cuts fill Texas leaders with dread

    April 4, 2015 – San Antonio Express-News, By Sig Christenson Automatic federal spending cuts over the last three years have hurt several Texas cities with large military installations — part of the budget sequester that will reduce the size of the Army by 80,000...

    Read More...

  • IMCOM leaders set sights on 2025

    April 2, 2015 – Hawai’i Army Weekly (Army News Service) SAN ANTONIO — U.S. Army Installation Management Command top leaders held a conference, here, for garrison commanders and command sergeants major to set a collective course for IMCOM 2025 and Beyond.

    Read More...

  • Budgets Signal Sequester Cuts Here to Stay

    March 30, 2015 – Defense News, By John T. Bennett WASHINGTON — What to do about sequestration is one issue House and Senate negotiators can skip as they craft a compromise 2016 federal budget blueprint. That’s because spending resolutions approved last week by the House and Senate both leave the...

    Read More...