[Skip to Content]

    On January 20, we notified customers by email about upcoming changes to the Office of Economic Adjustment's (OEA) eGrant business systems. The changes to OEA.gov and our Economic Adjustment Data System (EADS) are now underway to improve your customer experience and the system went offline at 12:01 a.m. on January 30, 2016. The system will remain offline until February 25, 2016.

    OEA values your continued patience and partnership during this transition as we work to provide you with better customer service. Stay tuned to oea.gov, your inbox, and OEA on social media for more information. Please contact your project manager if you require further information.

Homeless Assistance (Technical & Financial)

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

For more than four decades, the U.S. Department of Defense has closed or realigned military installations to reduce overhead, enhance readiness and modernization, and adjust to the realities of changing international relations. The resulting impact on surrounding communities is often dramatic. Successful communities convert these former installations to civilian uses such as parks and other recreational facilities, business centers, market-rate housing, affordable housing, and housing for homeless persons.

In 1994 the Base Closure Community Redevelopment and Homeless Assistance Act (the Redevelopment Act) was passed. Designed to accommodate communities’ multiple interests in base reuse and to meet the national priority to assist homeless individuals and families, the Act itself was the end result of recommendations made by HUD, the Department of Defense, Veterans Affairs, the General Services Administration, and the Department of Health and Human Services. The Act established a community-based process wherein representatives of the homeless and other community groups participate in local reuse planning.

The Redevelopment Act places responsibility for base reuse planning in the hands of a Local Redevelopment Authority (LRA), which represents all the local jurisdictions affected by a closing or realigning installation. The LRA is responsible for developing a reuse plan that appropriately balances the needs of the communities for economic redevelopment, other development, and homeless assistance. HUD then reviews the plan to determine its completeness and compliance with applicable statutes and regulations.

HUD is available to provide technical assistance to the LRA. Local HUD Field Office staff can help link the LRA with homeless assistance providers, provide guidance on the process mandated by the Redevelopment Act, and facilitate linkage of the LRA and homeless assistance providers to sources of funding for reuse projects. For information on HUD’s homeless assistance programs, please visit http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/homeless/programs/index.cfm. For further information on HUD’s BRAC program, please contact HUD’s BRAC Coordinator by phone at (202) 402- 2595 or visit the BRAC Web site.

Self Help Homeownership Opportunity Program

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Self Help Homeownership Opportunity Program (SHOP) provides funds for eligible non-profit organizations to purchase home sites and develop or improve the infrastructure needed to set the stage for sweat equity and volunteer-based homeownership programs for low income persons and families. SHOP is authorized by the Housing Opportunity Program Extension Act of 1996, Section 11, and is subject to other Federal crosscutting requirements.

CFDA Information

Native American Assistance

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

HUD offers a range of programs, assistance, and loan programs specifically for Native American tribes, organizations, and sometimes individuals. See Web site for details.


U.S. Department of Labor

The CareerOne-Stop Web portal has a Relocation Center with links to resources that may assist individuals with relocation decisions and planning. On this page, customers will find a link to cost of living resources, a salary calculator, financial and moving resources, and resources related to the community to which they are relocating.

Home Owner Assistance Program

U.S. Department of Defense/Army

The Department of Defense Homeowner's Assistance Program (HAP) provides assistance to eligible Federal personnel (military and civilian), who are stationed at or near an installation scheduled for closure or realignment and who, through no fault of their own, are unable to sell their homes under reasonable terms and conditions. Information concerning HAP is available at the above Web site.

Rental Assistance

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Rental assistance may be available through local welfare agencies. They can be located through each State’s department of social services via this Web site.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) can help pay heating, gas, and electricity bills for low-income households. More information about LIHEAP assistance can be obtained from LIHEAP grantees (States, tribal organizations, and U.S. insular areas).

Rural Rental Assistance

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Rural Rental Assistance payments are available to persons with low incomes, the elderly, and persons with disabilities who are unable to pay their rent. The owner of the rental property will be paid the difference between the amount of the individual’s rent and the amount that the individual can contribute. More information is available at this Web site.

CFDA Information

In the News